Thursday, June 28, 2012

~*Re~Do a Re~Dux...*~

That is what I'm going to do!

Hi Friends!  I'm not happy AT ALL with the white chairs.  They are stained and distressed too much... and the round discs that were cut for the seats are about 1/4 inch too small.  So, I'm going to slap another coat of white paint on them, skip the stain, and only sand a little bit (if they are sanded at all).  I'm not sure what will be done with the discs.  If they can still be used, they will be... because our staple gun is just too hard to use! Maybe some rope trim will work?

I promised to show you the chairs today.  They just did not turn out to my pleasing... and I really wasn't sure they should be shown because I dislike them so much.  But... I said I would.

As for the one stool that is finished... well, it is 'ok', but I'm not thrilled with it either.  The round white circle in the center of the quilt piece needs 'something'.  Don't you think?  I thought about appliqueing on a wool heart or other image... or trimming the circle with vintage buttons.  Do you have any ideas?  Here is a closer look...

Hum... maybe the legs on the stool should be repainted & less distressed too?

Guess it is back to the drawing board for these pieces.  Or heck, maybe I'll take a break from them today and work with my needles!

Wishing you warm smiles...

Betty

12 comments:

  1. Well, actually, I think they're pretty neat! Love the seat covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as bad as you think! How about a soft stencil on the footstool. And how about some cording to go around the disks on the two chairs. I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about doing white on the chairs - then painting over it with brown - and then doing a bit of sanding. That way, they would have more "brown" to them - which would warm them up. Altho, I have to say - I like them like they are also! For the footstool, I was going to say - make a heart out of vintage buttons. But if you want to use it to rest your feet - then I'd go with a stencil or a heart made out of quilt pieces... You are so talented!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fine. The only suggestion would be to either whiten up the paint on the legs or grungy up the seat cover with a tea/coffee/walnut stain? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To each his (or her) own, but I like the chairs the way they are. Maybe they look different in person. I like the idea of an applique in the middle on the footstool. You always make such good choices so I know we'll all be happy with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look good to me.I like the white distressed. Keep trying til you love it though. Blessings ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about a hooked circle that you can inset, into that area. That would also make it more feet friendly.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors of the chairs and stool...I think a small hooked or punched piece would be great in the middle of the cushion ....
    How fun this is, eh ?? love re-do's !!!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I,too, think they turned out lovely but YOU must feel happy with the end result...just keep playing until they "speak" to you!
    I think a cross stitched or punched piece would be lovely in the center of the quilt/stool. Your thought to add the trim to the chairs to "buy" that 1/4 inch would also work nicely.
    Good luck...decisions like this keep me awake at night...LOL
    Busy Hands...Happy Heart
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Betty,
    Great makeover of the stools. I would put a redwork embroidery of a lady/girl doing some embroidery on a stool in the centre piece.

    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them. Perhaps the suggestion of tea/coffee/walnut ink to soften the stark brightness of the fabric to blend more with the distress look of the furniture, and stitch/applique a time worn/distressed doilie into the center? Lay a towel soaked in the stain on top, and then sponge with a dry towel to soak it up, and dry in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the girls before I even read the comments, embroidery in the center of the footstool and darken up the wood a little. Of course I don't know where or what you're putting them with. They have great chacter to the structor of the chairs, and I have a little footstool that was my grandmothers just like yours, that I may do a quilt top on ....love it

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...