Tuesday, March 20, 2012

~*Weekend Update*~

Oh boy... what a weekend it was! Hello Dear Friends! Many of you know, but some may not, Monday is still considered part of our weekend because of my husband's work week. He works four-10s and has Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off. It is a great schedule and allows us more time together... and more time to play and work.

This weekend was no exception. We played and worked... and worked and worked... and played a little more! I won't give you a minute by minute recap... but I will highlight some of it.

We celebrated the March Birthdays with a big family gathering. There were lots of smiles, laughs, good food... and CAKE! It is always nice to get together with the family. The little ones are growing so quickly. They are getting taller and taller... and the voices (because we mostly have boys) are getting deeper and deeper!

Our kitchen re-do that was so unplanned and unexpected... at least at this very moment... is moving right along. We have the floor patched and the new cabinets set in place. For now, we have only a plywood counter-top. That will be replaced soon with either a handmade butcher block or a pre-built Formica one. We plan to put bead-board on the back wall for a back-splash... and I would like to get a new ceiling light/fan. Our next step though... is to paint. Our kitchen and family room are basically one big room... so it will all be painted. I've already started removing things from the walls... and hope to spend the week prepping them for paint. I'm starting at the top too... our ceiling will also be painted. We live in a home built in 1970... and the popcorn with gold flecks was popular at the time... but is no more!

Would you like to see how things are looking?

before...


how it looks now...


We found a penny under the old cabinets... so we are on our way to saving to pay for all of this!

Somehow over the weekend... I managed to punch the antique rug challenge pattern Kelley shared with our AAPG group. I had started hooking the pattern while at the Lenexa Hook-in a few weeks ago, but I didn't see how I would ever finish it on time. The challenge deadline is the end of March. So... since I love the pattern so... I drew it up on Weaver's and went to town!


I made it extra challenging by deciding to use only threads from my tangled mess!


I finished punching it before bed last night... and then stained it with my walnut/spice mix. Today I plan to sew it up into a symple pillow/pinkeep.
Looking at it closely... you can see all shades of threads. It turned out beautifully... if I do say so myself!


Also this weekend... I listed a few things on Ebay. With all the auction goings recently... we have started to accumulate things. These are things that some may collect or desire to have... vintage, olde, and/or just kind of cool. I've only listed a couple for now... but do have many other items to put up. Some of the primitives are hard for me to part with... but I will be offering some. Swing by if you get a chance. There might be something added that you want or need to have! CLICK HERE to visit my Ebay offerings.

Wishing you all warm smiles...

Betty

8 comments:

  1. Hi Bettygirl!
    your kitchen redeux is looking great so far!!! I'm thrilled with my formica countertop, (was a bargain at LOWE'S, and it looks like granite!! & easy to clean too!) but peter will be adding a butcher block to the left of my sink...can't wait as it is made from our very own black walnut trees and is drying while I type this!
    also, your punching is just beautiful ! LOVE love your colors and everything about it...can't wait to see what you'll be offering for the Prim Sisters Club!!!!!

    Happy Spring to you ~
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I realized you went to the Lenexa hook in. I planned to go and shop but I was ill that weekend. Bummer! I'm sure I missed a lot of great vendors. Your punched piece turned out great! ~Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty ~
    A kitchen re-do. Lucky you! It has been on my list for years!!!
    Your pn what-nots is wonderful!!!
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out WONDERFUL , Betty !! and I really love that you used threads that , at least in my mess, get overlooked...too much of a hassle most of the time....lol
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Betty! I've only been awake fro 20 minutes this morning and already (just reading your post) I am wore out! lol! Kitchen re-do's are so much physical work, but so worth it in the end! Your antique rug adaptation turned out fabulous! Happy Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen re-do is coming along great Betty! I can't wait to get over there and see it in person...SOON! Your NP piece is wonderful, as all your projects are. Keep busy dear friend, as if your not. HA Hugs,Sher

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...